References in Rum
Angostura Rum is one of the largest producers of rum. Located in Trinidad and Tobago, the company is also famous for its bitters, whose recipe has remained unchanged since its introduction in 1824. Angostura has won many awards for its spirits, and its selection has been recognised by the Rum Masters as the most awarded. In addition, Angostura has long been a purveyor to the English royal family for the supply of bitters to the court.
The history of Angostura begins by Dr. Johann Siegert, a military doctor in the army of Simon Bolivar. In 1824 he developed a stomach bitter for the medical treatment of the soldiers, which he named after his place of residence, Angostura (today Ciudad Bolivar). In 1975 his sons Carlos, Alfredo and Luis moved to Trinidad and refounded the company in Port of Spain. This also marked the beginning of the international trade in Angostura spirits. The success paid off when, at the turn of the century, he was appointed purveyor to the court of the Prussian and Spanish royal house. In 1912 Angostura was first chosen by the English monarch.
The Siegerts had already experimented with rum around 1900, but the business took off when Robert Siegert, a trained chemist, brought his knowledge to the company in 1936. The recruitment of further experts followed, so that it was now possible to produce high quality rum. Queen Elizabeth II confirmed Angostura's status as a purveyor to the court, and the Swedish royal family also commissioned the Siegerts shortly afterwards. In 1971 Angostura became Trinidad's largest exporter not involved in the oil industry.
This success continues to this day, so that Angostura is already represented in 170 countries. In 2017 Genevieve Jodhan, the first woman in the company's history, took over the management of the company.
More information about Angostura Rum
|Company Name:||Angostura Rum|
|Street:||Corner Eastern Main Road and Trinity Avenue|
|Country:||Trinidad & Tobago|
|Region:||Port of Spain|
|Contact & Web|
|Managing Director:||Ian Forbes|