Reichsrat von Buhl
Reichsrat von Buhl Winery - Palatinate Wine Art of the Top Class
Founded in 1849 by Franz Peter Buhl, the German winery was established by dividing the Jordan estate into three smaller estates, the Geheimer Rat Dr. von Bassermann-Jordan, Dr. Deinhardt and Reichrat von Buhl. Shortly after its foundation, it already achieved national and international fame through its noble Rieslings, of which even Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy enthused:"But anyone who was not at Buhl does not know what Forster Riesling hernieden is.
The first Imperial Councilor with the name of Buhl was Armand von Buhl, who was married to the winegrower's daughter Juliane Schellhorn- Wallbillich. His son Franz Eberhard, who came out of the marriage, cleaned the vineyards of the family in 1909. With a total area of 200 hectares and a wine-growing area of almost 100 hectares, the estate has become one of Germany's largest privately owned wineries. Franz Eberhard is also distinguished by the foundation of the German wine-growing association, which was dedicated to research and the preservation of the quality of German wines. After his death in 1921, his widow Frieda Piper von Buhl took over the management of the estate and improved the already very good wines. Since Franz Eberhard and Frieda Piper von Buhl had no children of their own, the estate was inherited in 1952 by Georg Enoch Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg, the son of Georg Enoch Freiherr, with whom von Buhl's close friendships were maintained during his lifetime. From and to Guttenberge, the vineyard area of the Palatinate winery was reduced to 52 hectares, with the parcels still cultivated being those in the best locations. From 1989 to 2013, the Reichsrat von Buhl winery was leased to the Japanese entrepreneur Toyohiro Tokuoka, but was purchased by Achim Niederberger during the lease period in 2005. Since 2013, the new managing director Richard Grosche, together with Mathieu Kauffmann and Werner Sebastian, has been responsible for the production and distribution of wines that live up to Buhl's promise of quality.
The Palatinate region west of Worms in the north to the French border in the south is characterized by an almost Mediterranean climate with a high number of hours of sunshine. This enables the cultivation of Riesling, which accounts for 89% of the winery's production. The classic grape varieties Spätburgunder, Sauvignon blanc, Chardonnay, Scheurebe, Grauburgunder, Rieslauer and Weißburgunder round off the winery's range of wines. 41% of Buhl's sites are so-called "first sites". The natural varietal and vineyard character of the wines is maintained by careful vinification. The individuality of the wines from the different vineyards as well as the reduction in yield and selective harvesting are the focus of the work here at the winery. Since 2009, the wines of the estate Reichsrat von Buhl have also been certified organic.
More information about Reichsrat von Buhl
|Company Name:||Weingut Reichsrat von Buhl GmbH|
|Contact & Web|
|Year of Incorporation:||1849|
|Company Owner:||Familie Niederberger|
|Managing Director:||Richard Grosche & Mathieu Kauffmann|
|Vineyard Area:||59 ha|
|Cultivated Vineyards:||Leinhöhle, Musenhang, Paradiesgarten, Herrgottsacker, Mäushöhle, Stift, Freundstück, Kirchenstück, Jesuitengarten, Pechstein, Ungeheuer, Kieselberg, Reiterpfad "Hofstück", Reiterpfad "In der Hohl"|